1) Painted the inside of the front door. I repainted the living room two years ago from a teal color to a tan color. The inside of the front door was a reddish color, and I wanted to repaint it white. I got as far as putting primer on it, when my friend Jessica and her dad came to visit. So I packed up all my painting stuff so that they could have a nice place to visit with me. Then I got pregnant. No paint fumes allowed. So for two years (one year of pregnancy and one year of baby), that darn door sat there with primer and no paint, including the green painters tape around the windows and door lock!!! It was so annoying. Now, it is properly painted white, and finally the green tape is gone!
2) Moved the fence in our driveway. Initially we built a tall, solid wood fence across our driveway to close off our backyard completely and to give us a small patio.
When we bought the house, there was a tiny picket fence across the driveway which offered no privacy at all. But when the girls got their fancy-schmancy swimming pool for their first birthday from dear friend Stephanie, we wanted to have a place to put it. Plus when we had parties, we found that the only shade was on the side of our house where the driveway was. So, Charles took down the first fence he built (and moved them to other places that needed protection from the girls), and built a new, even taller, gorgeous fence closer to the street. This gave us about 20x6 feet of additional real estate on our outdoor patio! When we first bought the house, the only windows that were completely private to our backyard were the bedroom window and our laundry room window. Now, all of the windows on three sides of our house look directly to parts of our backyard! Full privacy! The only drawback to the extra space is that we can now only park one car in our driveway, but since we had to park tandem, it wasn't really worth the hassle to move two cars and we always ended up parking on the street anyway. So it really wasn't much of a loss.
When we bought the house, there was a tiny picket fence across the driveway which offered no privacy at all. But when the girls got their fancy-schmancy swimming pool for their first birthday from dear friend Stephanie, we wanted to have a place to put it. Plus when we had parties, we found that the only shade was on the side of our house where the driveway was. So, Charles took down the first fence he built (and moved them to other places that needed protection from the girls), and built a new, even taller, gorgeous fence closer to the street. This gave us about 20x6 feet of additional real estate on our outdoor patio! When we first bought the house, the only windows that were completely private to our backyard were the bedroom window and our laundry room window. Now, all of the windows on three sides of our house look directly to parts of our backyard! Full privacy! The only drawback to the extra space is that we can now only park one car in our driveway, but since we had to park tandem, it wasn't really worth the hassle to move two cars and we always ended up parking on the street anyway. So it really wasn't much of a loss.
| Charles in his tractor. |
| Putting in the new sprinkler system. Charles rented a trench digger for the trenches, but did all the other manual labor himself this summer. |
| Rolling the dirt nice a flat. |
| Charles and I laid the sod ourselves. This is back-breaking work. If you are ever lucky enough to hire someone to do this for you, give them lots of water or Gatorade and thank them profusely! |
| You can see some of the rock borders Charles built on the left. Garden is starting to bloom in back. |
| We had extra sod, so we decided to use it for our side yard; a weird strip of land that was never used, but now is a "running pad" for the girls and connects our front lawn to our back. |
4) A fence and arbor dividing the lawn from the garden.
We wanted the lawn to be a fun place for the girls to play, but at the same time, be a safe place to play. The lawn was definitely safe, but the garden area was not always safe. First of all, we have an entire brick patio stacked there from when we took it out to put our lawn in there. Second, there are lots of stakes and irrigation pipes, and tools that Charles uses in the gardening areas. Plus, we didn't want the girls to pick off leaves or fruits from the garden before they were ready. So, Charles borrowed a planer from a friend, and planed down some old fence boards we had from when we initially bought the house. We used those boards (now redwood showing instead of white) to form the new fence. Charles had to buy new wood for the fence and arbor posts, but that was about it.
5) Plants and gardening.
Charles found some old shelves that used to be in our laundry room, and he hung them outside our windows to make a type of "window box." Then I put a lot of my smaller patio pots up on the shelves (as the girls were getting into them anyway), and va-va-voom! We've got plants outside our kitchen and living room windows!
6) Cook Book organization.
I have had recipes collecting forever in a binder with sheet protectors. But it was a pain to find recipes in there because there was no particular order to the recipes. Then my friend Erica showed me this recipe book she found at a thrift store, where there was an index in the front, alphabetically. Every time she added a new recipe, she would write in under the letter for that recipe (i.e., Peach Cobbler would go under "P"), then she would add it to the back of the book and then write the page number next to the entry in the index. How simple and brilliant! So I went through all my recipes. If it was a recipe that I tried but didn't like, I threw it out. If it was a recipe that I have had for over two years and hadn't tried it, I threw it out. If it was a recipe that was tried and we liked it, I put it into this system in my binder. This actually took about 4 hours total (to sort, and then write everything down), but it took me like four weeks to finish it because every time I tried to start it, I would get interrupted by the girls. Summer allowed me to finally finish this thing that has been on my list for years!!!
7) Pregnancy Photo Album
One of the things that is eternally on my list is making photo albums. I am really, really, really, bad at completing photo albums. I have grand ideas of how to start photo albums and I do start them, but I rarely finish them. It is a pet-peeve that I have about myself. I have about 4 photo albums that I have ideas to do but have not started. And about 6 that I have started and not finished. I can count two photo albums that i have actually finished: one is a photo album for Simon which included all of the hard copy photos I had of him, and one is a photo album of my trip to Texas with dear friends Jessica and Louanne. The only reason this one is finished is because we did it ON the trip together! So, when I was gifted a photo album for one of the showers, I decided it was going to be my pregnancy album, journaling the journey that I went through during that time and to document the support and love I received. I was able to complete this album (ummm... except for a few pictures I still need to print...tee-hee!) this summer! Seriously, it is like 90% done! And that is really good for me!
8) Mexico Photo Album
Three years ago, I took my first trip out of the country to Puerto Vallarta, with my friend Erica. We spent ten days there, a week of which was spent at school learning Spanish. It was a great time for me, perfect weather, great sites and food, and a great school community. It really helped me in my Spanish conversational skills to have to practice in the country. I couldn't get away with speaking English if I didn't know the words I wanted to say because sometimes it wouldn't work. And in school, they didn't allow us to speak in English. So you end up getting creative in what you are trying to say. Instead of saying "I wish I could have gotten that sweater," where I didn't remember the verb wish or know how to use different verb tenses, I would end up saying, "I hope I buy that thing sometime." A good time overall! ANYWAY! I finally put all those printed photos into an album as well. A huge feat for me! What I want to do to completely finish it is put in my journal entries and emails between Charles and I as the narration of the trip.
So, all in all, I feel like a lot got done! I love summer!
6) Cook Book organization.
I have had recipes collecting forever in a binder with sheet protectors. But it was a pain to find recipes in there because there was no particular order to the recipes. Then my friend Erica showed me this recipe book she found at a thrift store, where there was an index in the front, alphabetically. Every time she added a new recipe, she would write in under the letter for that recipe (i.e., Peach Cobbler would go under "P"), then she would add it to the back of the book and then write the page number next to the entry in the index. How simple and brilliant! So I went through all my recipes. If it was a recipe that I tried but didn't like, I threw it out. If it was a recipe that I have had for over two years and hadn't tried it, I threw it out. If it was a recipe that was tried and we liked it, I put it into this system in my binder. This actually took about 4 hours total (to sort, and then write everything down), but it took me like four weeks to finish it because every time I tried to start it, I would get interrupted by the girls. Summer allowed me to finally finish this thing that has been on my list for years!!!
7) Pregnancy Photo Album
One of the things that is eternally on my list is making photo albums. I am really, really, really, bad at completing photo albums. I have grand ideas of how to start photo albums and I do start them, but I rarely finish them. It is a pet-peeve that I have about myself. I have about 4 photo albums that I have ideas to do but have not started. And about 6 that I have started and not finished. I can count two photo albums that i have actually finished: one is a photo album for Simon which included all of the hard copy photos I had of him, and one is a photo album of my trip to Texas with dear friends Jessica and Louanne. The only reason this one is finished is because we did it ON the trip together! So, when I was gifted a photo album for one of the showers, I decided it was going to be my pregnancy album, journaling the journey that I went through during that time and to document the support and love I received. I was able to complete this album (ummm... except for a few pictures I still need to print...tee-hee!) this summer! Seriously, it is like 90% done! And that is really good for me!
8) Mexico Photo Album
Three years ago, I took my first trip out of the country to Puerto Vallarta, with my friend Erica. We spent ten days there, a week of which was spent at school learning Spanish. It was a great time for me, perfect weather, great sites and food, and a great school community. It really helped me in my Spanish conversational skills to have to practice in the country. I couldn't get away with speaking English if I didn't know the words I wanted to say because sometimes it wouldn't work. And in school, they didn't allow us to speak in English. So you end up getting creative in what you are trying to say. Instead of saying "I wish I could have gotten that sweater," where I didn't remember the verb wish or know how to use different verb tenses, I would end up saying, "I hope I buy that thing sometime." A good time overall! ANYWAY! I finally put all those printed photos into an album as well. A huge feat for me! What I want to do to completely finish it is put in my journal entries and emails between Charles and I as the narration of the trip.
So, all in all, I feel like a lot got done! I love summer!
| BEFORE |
| DURING |
| AFTER- should I paint the fence and arbor white to match the house trim? Or should I leave it redwood colored to match the fence and patio furniture? |
4 comments:
What a great place!
Well thought out and planned projects make for a dirft result - and it shows.
Noticed some things hangin' on the clothesline too and always loved hanging clothes outside when we were growing up. All the clothes had grapefruit blossom smells to them. Delightful!
Such a wonderful home for the girls.
What an inviting home!! hint hint!:) I can't wait to come and visit one day and meet the girls! You and Charles did such a great job. By doing those projects yourselves you will love and cherish this home for many years to come. Love you! Kristy
This is AWESOME!!! I can't wait to see it in person some day. Especially the cuties in the outside play room.
Thanks Gail and Louanne! Yes, Gail and Kristy, I love the clothesline. It works great for when the girls go into the baby pool with their clothes on. I don't need to take wet clothes and let them sit in the hamper until the next load goes in the wash. Instead, I hang them on the line until they dry, and then put them in the dirty hamper. I love to wash the sheets, towels, and large blankets and hang them to dry on the line. It is more convenient than taking them to the extra-large loads at a laundry mat. It is kind of a pain for regular clothes if you have too many to hang, but we save about $1.00 a load in electricity costs if we hang them to dry vs. using our gas dryer. I use it when I can. Kristy you are welcome to visit anytime! We don't have much space for people to stay inside, but in good weather, you can camp out in our yard! Or we can do a house exchange, like I was telling Dina. Would love for you to meet the girls someday soon! xoxo
Post a Comment