Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Prenatal Care Classes

Well, I signed up for a three part series of prenatal care classes. The description said something like "how to respond to your babies cry, notice what each cry means, how to change diapers, etc. " It sounded super practical so I signed up. We couldn't take the classes in order due to conflicting dates so we ended up taking the third class first.

Little did I know that each class had a different agenda and class three was "How to communicate with your partner." Oh, the look on Charles' face when we saw the PowerPoint printouts including role plays, using "I" messages, and listening to your partners needs!

As a teacher, many of these techniques are old hat to me; I teach them to my students everyday! They are the basics. How to resolve a conflict; How to communicate your needs without blaming; how to compromise!

This class was unfortunately a little heavy on the "get the picture you males" type of class. It became a little harpy: "don't think you can have sex right away...your wife will be tired." "Don't just sit around and wait to be asked to do something, just jump in!" "Learn how to compromise...if your wife needs a night off from the baby, offer to help her."

I just can't imagine Charles sitting around the house NOT helping with the babies. He is so involved in everything; I mean they'll be his kids too and he is just as excited! And it seemed to us that most of the other couple were in the same boat.

I think possibly, the classes are taught by a different generation, where men had their role and women had their role and that was that. Nowadays (or possibly just with me and Charles?) our roles are much less rigid. Sometimes I mow the lawn and clean out the gutters. I also do the bills. Most times, he cooks dinner and does the grocery shopping. He fixes things that are broken around the house, but so do I. He does the laundry and so do I. I sew clothes when they are torn, but so does he. We both iron. You get the picture.

But the funniest part was when at one point, I got up during the middle and went the the restroom. When I came back I found my "shy" little Charles reading a role play with the teacher! I was utterly dumbfounded. I thought to myself "this poor guy has been tricked into doing this role play while I was gone!" To my surprise, Charles had actually volunteered! He told me later that the teacher had sat there asking the class for a volunteer and when it seemd to Charles that no one was ever going to volunteer, and the teacher started looking desperate, he caved in and volunteered to help her out! He was reading stuff like "I can't help out with the baby right now because I have to work all these extra shifts. I don't think my boss will understand when he has just changed the shifts." And the teacher was saying "But honey, can't you see how exhausted I am? I can't do this alone! I need your help everyday you are home!" It was so hilarious!

Go Charles!

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

Good job Charles! you totally rock!

Rae said...

I just want to say I really do think it's a generational thing and I am always impressed with Charles. You are truly blessed to have a husband who helps! I also can't see him just sitting around from the stories you have told me. Count your blessing and give him hugs cause he's a definate keeper!

Louanne said...

Cute and go Charles. He really goes care about you and it will all be good. But you can look at that class as a "bonus" reminder of how blessed you are to have each other :)