Saturday, May 1, 2010

Human octopus

My other limbs have become very talented now that I have two babies. It seems at times the only way to continue running the ship and raising babies is to do them simultaneously.

So as I fling one girl over my shoulder to burp her, (the other safely in daddys arms or asleep in her crib) and attempt to wash a dish or two, inevitably something falls to the floor (a burp cloth, a swaddle blanket, a piece of mail, my cell phone, my pants... Yes this has happened as I lose some of that baby weight and Charles didn't help at all... he was laughing so hard!)

My toes curl and try to grab the item so I won't have to bend over with a floppy head baby. Sometimes it takes a few tries but like I said, my limbs are becoming talented. The cell phone was the hardest to do; the top of the foot played a roll here. Yes I could hold onto the baby's head and bend over but where is the
fun in that? Plus moving a sleeping baby upside down does not always guarantee a sleeping baby on the way up. Have you ever turned a baby who hasn't burped upside down? I don't suggest it. :-)

Teeth are also useful. Opening a package one handed (remember baby is in other hand) is almost impossible. But add teeth to the mix and you've got the best gripper since the thumb was invented. Legs become cradles, bellies become pillows, forearms are slings, fingers are head stands and washers and massagers and groomers and pickers.

The best thing about all this flexibility is the ability to calm a worried baby or warm them by your touch, and have them warm your heart by the affect you have... While still having clean underwear.

Amy

5 comments:

Jeanette said...

I laugh so very hard at this. Even though I have never had babies, I have always used my other limbs is the same manners you described. Perhaps that is because I became and Auntie so early in life and I too have a
sleeping baby in my arms.
when I use my feet my hubby comments on my monkey toes. Hey, they work!

Keep up the good work mommy. Your blog is so amazing. Thank you for keep us laughing while keeping us up to date on "a day in the life of twins and their parents". I love you bunches.

GM

Jessica M said...

You are TOO funny! Thanks for the super cute update. I had a big giggle over this one!

BennieDriskell said...

So happy to see an update. Sounds like you guys are doing great. So glad! Much love coming your way.

Bennie

Anonymous said...

Funny how with all the books on the changes your body goes through, no one mentions this. You'll have supersonic hearing and eyes in the back of your head in no time! And I think there is some mind-reading ability mixed in there too because one look at a kids face and you can tell they're up to no good.

Gail said...

LOLOLLOLOLOL
This was awesome!
So funny!
Ain't it just plain ol' fun??